I have begun to realize that not everyone who is helping to get this brewery off the ground is willing to work until 2am, or makes this job the sole focus on their day. In other words, answers that I expect within a couple weeks, sometimes take the better part of a month. Sometimes these answers are not needed, so the time to get a response is not important. But it seems like we need most of these answers in a timely fashion, and they set in motion a cascade of changes elsewhere, and each successive change is just as important as the last.
One of these huge considerations is the electrical issues for our space. I have blogged about it, and it seems like we have been close to an answer for the past few weeks. This is likely the biggest and most important answer we have been waiting for throughout this process, as our decision to lease the space rests on the advice and information we gather. A bill of under $100,000 and we are golden to carry on. Anything over this and we have a tough decision to make, and anything well over this means our dream is going to be dead in the water. Additionally, we have already extended our contract to lease our space with the landlord past what we agreed to. We were supposed to give our landlord an answer if we wanted the space by the end of November and we asked for a month extension, given the electrical issues and the lack of an answer around our Development Permit.
So here we are at this point. We have 2 weeks to decide if we want the space, as the landlord requires an answer by the first week of January. We have received our development permit from the City of Vancouver, so we are able to brew beer in this space. We need to submit our building permit drawings to the City of Vancouver, and we need to find a solution to the lack of electrical power our space has.
Well as of yesterday, we found a solution to our electrical problem. It looks like we are going to cut the power to the whole building, and re-run new power that will be sufficient for everyone, including our brewery. This means that instead of getting a bill for well over $100,000, we should now come in around $60,000-$80,000 on this fix. We are still a little upset by the amount we have to spend, but it beats the alternative, which is a pad mounted transformer, and the cost of which is about $250,000.
This means that all we have to do is hammer out the final details of our lease with the landlord, and we are going to lease this space. I can’t actually believe this is about to happen! Its almost like I have to pinch myself. I know there are a few key points to be ironed out with the landlord, like tenant versus landlord improvements, personal guarantee (not unlike a kick to family jewels) length, but most of the important items have already been agreed upon. In fact, our landlord has been very helpful and accommodating in working with our needs and challenges. While his patience has started to wear thin, we hope that he still wants to complete a deal with us, and dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s.
I don’t want to get ahead of things, so I will leave our latest bit of good news at that. I have learned from my mentors and peers that a deal is not done until you get a key to the front door, so I will not presume anything. What I do know is this: The lows we felt about things after our floor issues popped up, and then our electrical issues came to the front, have all been offset by the development permit we received, and then the answers around the electrical.
With any luck, we will have a firm deal in early January, submit our building permit application in 8 days, and start working on our brewery sometime in early March. Should all this come together as we hope, we should be open for business sometime in August 2014. Thats right, in about 8 months our brewery will be producing beer and slinging it to eager locals before you know it.
Given the amount of work to do, and the mountain we need to climb in order to get everything ready, I am going to take this Christmas break to relax and enjoy some time with my family. The way things are shaping up, I may not see to much of them from February to August of next year. Happy holidays to everyone that reads this blog and I hope you have a fantastic end to 2013.