Today was a great day in our world: We received news first thing this morning about the status of our Development Permit that was submitted to the City of Vancouver about 14 weeks ago. Our permit was approved via rubber stamp by the City, which paves the way for us to move forward with permission to brew beer at our desired location. In other words, from the City of Vancouver’s point of view, brewing beer in our chosen location is something we can do, should we want to do it.
I often hear that it is important to celebrate your successes, no matter how small, as you need to draw upon these when you are slugging it out in the trenches. So tonight I have a smile. Tonight, I feel like the dream of opening my very own craft brewery is one giant step closer to reality. Tonight, I still feel in control of my own destiny. Tonight, I feel re-energized and ready for the next challenge that I will face. Tonight …… well if I keep going on it will soon be tomorrow morning.
While this success is great, we still have other challenges that are right before us. The most important of those is finding a solution to this electrical issue. We are underpowered at our space, and we are searching for economical ways around it. It is painful to know that every conversation you have with electrical engineers and other professionals costs money, but what other options are there?
The latest update on the power is that we should know this week about what options are available, and then we can decide whether or not we want this space. If we can keep the bill under $100,000, then I think we are going to move forward. However, if we can’t find a way to keep the bill under this number, then I think we walk away. Hydro and our electricians are busy scurrying around getting answers.
All the while this is going on, we are still working away on our building permit submission. We have (rightly or wrongly) assumed that we will find an answer to the electrical issues, and given that we need to have a full set of plans ready for building permits ASAP. Time is the big enemy here, as every delay in submitting our building permits is another day more that money just goes out the door. If we can’t get our brewery up and running by August 1st, then we run the risk of needing more loans and lines of credit, and we also run the risk of missing out on the busiest time of year for breweries …. Summer.
Needless to say, with this small win, we are one step closer to making this dream a reality. Tonight we celebrate, as tomorrow there is even more work to do.